LOW-CARB CINNAMON FRENCH TOAST
French toast makes a sweet, festive breakfast, and its also a great way to use up stale bread. Slices of low-carb almond bread are soaked in a creamy, cinnamony, egg custard before pan-frying until golden brown and caramelized.
Makes: 6 SERVINGS
Prep Time: 5 MINUTES
Cooking Time: 10 MINUTES
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
Pinch of ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon natural vanilla extract
¼ cup (50 g) Sola sweetener
½ cup (120 ml) heavy cream
½ cup (120 ml) whole milk
6 slices of white farmhouse-style low carb almond bread CLICK HERE FOR RECIPE
Sunflower oil and unsalted butter for cooking
½ cup mixed fruit or strawberry jam CLICK HERE FOR RECIPE warmed with 4 tablespoons of water
1. Place all of the ingredients except for the bread into a large bowl and whisk well to incorporate and dissolve the Sola sweetener. Cover a plate with paper towel and set aside.
2. Place the bread slices into the egg mixture and soak for five minutes.
3. Meanwhile, add one tablespoon of sunflower oil and one tablespoon of butter to a large, nonstick frying pan and place over medium heat. Swirl the pan around until the butter starts to foam.
4. Carefully remove the bread slices from the egg mixture and drag gently across the top of the bowl to discard excess custard mixture. Place the bread into the frying pan, three slices at a time. Allow two to three minutes cooking time per side until the French toast is golden brown and no liquid seeps out when you press it lightly with a spoon.
5. Remove the French toast slices from the pan. Place them on the paper towel-covered plate to soak up any excess oil. Keep them warm while you cook the remaining slices.
6. Serve the French toast warm with whipped cream and fresh berries.