LOW-CARB DEEP FRIED BRIE WITH CRANBERRY SAUCE
Deep-fried brie with cranberry sauce is a popular appetizer in Britain. With a crunchy coating and a soft, gooey, melted center, it is an incredibly satisfying nibble, and pairs perfectly with a sweet, sharp cranberry sauce, that offsets the richness of the cheese.
Makes: 6 SERVINGS
Prep Time: 10 MINUTES
Cooking Time: 5 MINUTES
1 small round of brie
2 cups (120 g) low-carb bread crumbs CLICK HERE FOR RECIPE (Substitute 2 cups finely ground almond flour for a quicker recipe)
4 tablespoons sesame seeds
Coconut flour for dusting
2 free-range eggs
1 pinch of sea salt
Low-carb cranberry sauce to serve CLICK HERE FOR RECIPE
Coconut or sunflower oil for frying
1. Beat the eggs with a few pinches of salt until well mixed (the salt helps break down the egg to make it easier to use). Line a large plate with parchment paper.
2. Place the bread crumbs (or almond flour) and sesame seeds into a large bowl and season with salt and pepper. Place one half-cup of coconut flour into another large bowl.
3. Cut the cheese into six triangles. Dip each triangle into the coconut flour, tap off as much of the flour as you can, then place the brie into the egg mixture, followed by the bowl of breadcrumbs (or almond flour). Toss the triangles around in the bread crumbs until fully coated. Place each brie wedge back into the egg mixture and make sure it's fully coated and then back into the bread crumb mixture for a second coating. Place the coated wedges on the parchment-lined plate until needed. The brie is best if cooked after coming to room temperature.
4. For best results, use a deep fryer set to 350F/180c. Alternatively, fill a large pan with sunflower or coconut oil and heat until hot; test the oil by dropping a cube of bread into it––if it begins to cook and become crispy then the oil is ready. At this point, turn the heat to medium/low so that it doesn’t over heat.
5. Carefully drop the Brie wedges into the hot oil and cook for approximately three to five minutes until they float and become golden brown and crispy. It is important that the oil maintains a temperature of 350 so that the center of the brie is hot and melted and the outside doesn’t overcook.
6. Remove the brie triangles from the oil with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with sea salt and serve immediately with low-carb cranberry sauce.