LOW-CARB STICKY Orange and Pistachio Breakfast Rolls
These lovely sticky rolls are a perfect substitute for Danishes and other high-carb breakfast pastries. Light and flavorful, they are baked quickly and then covered in a fragrant, fresh orange and pistachio syrup.
Makes: 6 ROLLS
Prep Time: 10 MINUTES
Cooking Time: 15 MINUTES
5 large free-range egg whites
1 cup (95 g) almond flour
3 tablespoons Sola sweetener
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
2 ounces (55 g) low-moisture mozzarella cheese or mild cheddar cheese, finely grated
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
For the syrup glaze
Zest of 1 large orange
Juice of 1 orange
¼ cup (32 g) roasted pistachios (unsalted)
¼ cup (60 ml) water
¾ cup (143 g) Sola sweetener
1. Preheat the oven to 325F/165c. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Place the almond flour, salt, cheese, spices, Sola sweetener, and baking powder in a mixing bowl and mix until well combined.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff (using a stand mixer, electric beaters, or a hand whisk), add the cooled melted butter, and then very gently fold in the almond flour mixture, keeping as much air in the whisked egg whites as possible.
4. Spoon the mixture into six dollops about one inch apart on the baking sheet and place it into the oven on a middle shelf.
5. Place the baking sheet into the oven on a middle shelf and bake the rolls for approximately 10 to 15 minutes, until risen and golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
6. To make the syrup, place all of the ingredients into a pan and bring to a light simmer. Cook the mixture for about five minutes until you have a syrupy consistency.
7. Pour the syrup over the rolls and then sprinkle the chopped pistachios on top.