KETO Chocolate, Pistachio and Coconut Squares
Although these chewy, chocolaty treats are made with shredded coconut, they don’t have an overpowering coconut flavor. They are perfect bite-size morsels to have on hand for petits-fours after a dinner party, or when a craving strikes.
Makes: 49 BITE SIZED PIECES
Prep Time: 10 MINUTES
Cooking Time: 10 - 15 MINUTES
¼ cup (35 g) roasted unsalted pistachios, chopped finely
1 ½ cups (360 ml) water
2 ¼ cups (430 g) Sola sweetener
½ stick (30 g) unsalted butter
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup (60 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
4 cups (320 g) unsweetened, shredded coconut
1 free-range egg white
1. Line a 10x10 inch square dish or baking pan with parchment paper, sprinkle the chopped pistachios in, and set aside until needed.
2. Place the water into a large saucepan and place over high heat until boiling, then whisk in the Sola sweetener, butter, salt, and cocoa powder, until well combined.
3. Reduce the heat to a rolling simmer and continue to cook for approximately 10 to 15 minutes, until the mixture is syrupy and has reached 250F/130c (use a digital thermometer to check the temperature).
4. Remove the pan from the heat, immediately stir in the coconut and mix well to combine, then mix in the egg white very quickly.
5. Place the mixture into the parchment-lined dish, press down to a smooth, even layer and refrigerate for at least three hours or preferably overnight.
6. Remove the coconut block from the dish and cut it into seven rows across and seven rows down, to equal 49 pieces. Store the bites in an airtight container for up to one month.
If you don't have a thermometer, drop a little of the mixture into a glass of ice water. If it forms into a soft ball then it is ready. If it dissolves, keep cooking.