LOW-CARB SAVORY CRèPES & TORTILLA STYLE WRAPS
These European-style savory crèpes make a lovely dinner when served hot with fillings such as creamy garlic mushrooms, or used in place of tortillas for enchiladas or fajitas. With their pleasant, mild flavor, the crèpes also make excellent cold sandwich wraps.
Makes: 8 SERVINGS
Prep Time: 5 MINUTES
Cooking Time: 5 TO 10 MINUTES
1 cup (248g) whole milk ricotta cheese
2 tablespoons coconut flour
8 free-range eggs
1 pinch salt
1 teaspoon fresh, chopped herbs such as thyme and parsley
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Coconut oil or butter for cooking
Due to the lack of flour and gluten in this recipe, the batter does not hold together like traditional crèpe batter during the cooking process. This means you have to watch them carefully while cooking and unlike traditional crèpes, which are cooked quickly over high heat, these cook over low heat for a longer time.
1. Place all of the ingredients into a food processor and pulse until smooth. The batter should be fairly thin in texture, not like a traditional breakfast pancake batter (which is normally much thicker).
2. Place a flat, nonstick frying pan or skillet over low heat and brush liberally with coconut oil or butter. Place a sheet of parchment paper onto a large plate and set aside.
3. Spoon a ladle of the crèpe batter into the warm (not hot) pan and immediately use a spatula to spread it out into a six-inch disc. Cook over low heat for approximately two minutes until the pancake appears fully cooked and is golden on the bottom. Flip the crèpe over very carefully with a large spatula.
4. Continue to cook the crèpe on the second side for approximately 30 seconds until golden, and transfer to the parchment-covered plate. Allow the pan to cool back down before cooking subsequent crepes.
5. Layer each crèpe between more parchment to prevent them from sticking together. After they have cooled, store in the refrigerator for several days or in the freezer for up to a month. When using frozen crèpes, thaw them on a rack before gently peeling apart.