LOW-CARB THIN CRUST PIZZA
I don’t think I’ve ever met someone that didn’t like pizza, and I think it’s fair to say pizza is one of the foods that many people avoiding carbs, miss the most. This pizza crust uses an ingenious dough made from mozzarella cheese and almond flour, which tastes darn close to the real thing. This recipe can be used for an endless array of your own favorite toppings, so experiment and have fun!
Makes: 4 SERVINGS
Prep Time: 10 MINUTES
Cooking Time: 20 MINUTES
For the Dough
½ cup (55g) shredded parmesan cheese
1 cup (110g) shredded mozzarella cheese
¼ stick (30g) unsalted butter
1 free range egg
1 cup (110g) almond flour
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
For the Topping
4 tablespoons store bought (low sugar) marinara sauce or pizza sauce
4 ounces (110 g) fresh mozzarella cheese (sliced)
2 ounces (55 g) goats cheese (crumbled)
2 ounces (55 g) blue cheese (crumbled)
10 slices pepperoni
4 slices prosciutto (torn)
Fresh arugula to garnish
1. Preheat oven to 400F/200C
2. Place almond flour, salt and baking powder into a mixing bowl and mix thoroughly using a whisk.
2. Place a large saucepan over low heat, add the butter, parmesan and mozzarella cheese. Stirring constantly, melt butter and cheese, they may look a little separated at this point, but that won’t be a problem once mixed with the other ingredients.
3. Pour the melted cheese and butter mixture into the bowl of a standing mixer and using the paddle attachment mix on a low speed, add the almond flour mixture and eggs and turn the speed up to high. Continue to mix for 1-2 minutes until you have a smooth soft dough. Alternatively, this can be done using an electric hand whisk or good old-fashioned elbow grease, but a standing mixer works best.
4. Allow to cool slightly before rolling out, flatten the dough into a rectangle about 12 inches 8 inches directly onto parchment paper.
5. Place into the oven to bake for 10 minutes, remove and spread over the marinara sauce and top with all remaining ingredients apart from the prosciutto and arugula. Place back into the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes until golden and bubbling.
7. Top with the prosciutto slices and fresh arugula and serve immediately.