ALMOND MARZIPAN BITES
These delicious, sweet bites are perfect for snacking on when you get a craving for something sweet. I’ve always been a big fan of marzipan; my mum used to keep packages of it in the cupboard for decorating cakes but when she would go to use it, she found it had disappeared, because I had stolen it! This recipe tastes exactly the same as regular marzipan but without all of the sugar.
Makes: 64 BITE SIZED PIECES
Prep Time: 10 MINUTES
Cooking Time: 10 - 15 MINUTES
½ cup (50 g) toasted, sliced almonds
1 ½ cups (360 ml) water
2 ½ cups (475 g) Sola sweetener
5 cups finely ground almond flour
2 teaspoons natural almond extract
2 free-range egg whites
1. Line a 10x10 inch square dish or baking pan with parchment paper and sprinkle the toasted, sliced almonds in.
2. Place the water into a heavy-bottom saucepan and place over high heat until boiling, then whisk in the Sola until incorporated.
3. Reduce the heat to a rolling simmer and continue to cook for approximately 10 minutes, until the mixture is syrupy and has reached 250F/130c (use a digital thermometer to check the temperature).
4. Remove the pan from the heat and immediately stir in the almond flour, almond extract, and egg whites, and mix well to combine. Return the pan to the heat for two minutes and stir well until the marzipan thickens up.
5. Place the mixture into the parchment-lined dish, press down to a smooth, even layer and refrigerate for at least three hours or preferably overnight.
6. Remove the block of marzipan from the dish and cut it into eight rows across and eight rows down, to equal 64 pieces. Store the bites in an airtight container for up to one month.
• If you don't have a thermometer, drop a little of the mixture into a glass of ice water. If it forms into a soft ball then it is ready. If it dissolves, keep cooking.