Focaccia-Style, Low-carb Almond Bread with Olives, Sundried Tomatoes, and Parmesan
This fluffy bread uses the basic almond bread recipe, and incorporates rich olive oil, sun-dried tomatoes and black olives. Use focaccia for sandwiches or as an accompaniment to salads and cured meat selections.
makes: 16 servings
prep time: 10 minutes
cooking time: 35 minutes
2 cups (180 g) finely ground almond flour
¼ cup (50 g) chopped, sun-dried tomatoes
¼ cup (35 g) chopped, black olives
1 teaspoon freshly chopped herbs (thyme, rosemary, and oregano work well)
½ teaspoon salt
4 ounces (110 g) parmesan cheese, grated
2 teaspoon baking powder
10 large, free-range egg whites
4 tablespoons good-quality olive oil
3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
2 tablespoons chopped, sun-dried tomatoes
2 tablespoons chopped, black olives
½ teaspoon fresh, chopped herbs (thyme, rosemary and oregano work well)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 325F/165c. Line a 9-inch, square baking pan with parchment paper.
2. Place the almond flour, sun-dried tomatoes, black olives, fresh, chopped herbs, salt, cheese, and baking powder in a mixing bowl and mix until well combined.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff (using a stand mixer, electric beaters, or a hand whisk), add the olive oil, and then very gently fold in the almond flour mixture, keeping as much air in the whisked egg whites as possible.
4. Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan, then sprinkle the additional cheese and freshly chopped herbs on top. Place it into the oven on a middle shelf.
5. Bake the loaf for approximately 35 minutes until risen and golden brown. Remove from the oven, drizzle the olive oil on top and garnish with the black olives, sun-dried tomatoes, and a sprinkle of sea salt.