Creamy Avocado and Spinach Coleslaw
A delicious alternative to the classic coleslaw, I love the creaminess of the avocado and the vibrant green color of the fresh spinach.
Makes: 8 SERVINGS
Prep Time: 10 MINUTES
½ white cabbage
½ medium red onion
3 large handfuls fresh baby spinach
1 large ripe avocado
4 tablespoons good quality mayonnaise
½ teaspoon wholegrain mustard
Squeeze of fresh lime juice
Pinch sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Cut the cabbage into quarters and remove the core from each quarter, using a sharp knife finely shred the cabbage and place into a large mixing bowl
2. Peel the onion and finely shred, add to the mixing bowl
3. Squeeze or press the fresh spinach into tight bundles and then shred using a sharp knife, add to the mixing bowl.
4. Add the mustard and seasoning to the bowl and mix well.
5. To prepare the avocado remove the avocado stone and scoop the flesh away from the skin, cut into thin strips and lay out on the chopping board, sprinkle with lime juice to help prevent the avocado from turning brown. It’s best not to prepare this coleslaw too far in advance because you don’t want the avocado to discolor before serving. Once the avocado is prepared add to the bowl with the other ingredients.
6. Add the mayonnaise just before serving the coleslaw, this keeps the coleslaw nice and crunchy. I’ve found that if I’ve added the mayonnaise too far in advance of serving then some of the juice from the vegetables starts to seep out into the mixture making it soggy.
7. To finish the coleslaw simply mix in the mayonnaise with a large spoon or to make it even easier use a pair of latex gloves and get your hands in there and mix it all up.
8. Serve in a clean bowl garnished with some chopped parsley