Cream of Cauliflower Soup with Crispy Bacon and Chicken
This soup is one of my absolute favorites; cauliflower puréed with cream and topped with crispy bacon, cooked chicken, and crumbled blue cheese, what more is there to say? It makes a perfect lunch or substantial dinner party first course.
Makes: 8 SERVINGS
Prep Time: 10 MINUTES
Cooking Time: 30 MINUTES
½ white onion, chopped
½ stick (55 g) unsalted butter
1 large or 2 small cauliflowers
4 ¾ cups (1.1 liters) chicken stock
¼ teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
6 slices smoked bacon
½ cup (120 ml) heavy/double cream
½ cooked chicken, removed from the bones and shredded
Blue cheese crumbles to garnish
1. Place the chopped onions and butter into a large saucepan over medium heat and cook for three minutes until softened but not colored.
2. Cut the cauliflower into florets, add them to the pan, and continue to cook for another five minutes.
3. Add the chicken stock, paprika, thyme, and cream.
4. Reduce the heat to a light simmer and continue to cook for approximately 25 minutes until the vegetables are tender. Cook the bacon until crispy and set aside to cool, then roughly chop.
5. When the vegetables are tender, remove the soup from the heat and use an immersion blender to purée the soup until smooth and creamy.
6. Add a generous amount of freshly ground black pepper and sea salt. Taste the soup for seasoning and adjust if necessary.
7. Return the soup to the heat for another couple of minutes until piping hot, and serve immediately!
8. Top the soup with the chopped crispy bacon, shredded chicken, and some additional crumbled blue cheese.