LOW-CARB BREAD ROLLS & BURGER BUNS
This recipe utilizes the basic almond bread recipe, in a different format. In this rendition, the mixture is spooned onto a baking tray and garnished with sesame and flaxseeds to make delicious burger buns, sandwich rolls or breakfast biscuits.
Makes: 4 SERVINGS
Prep Time: 5 MINUTES
Cooking Time: 5 TO 10 MINUTES
1 cup (95 g) almond flour
¼ teaspoon salt
2 ounces (55 g) low-moisture mozzarella cheese or mild cheddar cheese, grated
1 teaspoon baking powder
5 large, free-range egg whites
2 tablespoons melted, unsalted butter
1 teaspoon sesame seeds
½ teaspoon whole flaxseeds
1. Preheat the oven to 325F/165c. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Place the almond flour, salt, cheese, and baking powder in a large mixing bowl and stir until well combined.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff (using a stand mixer, electric beaters, or a hand whisk), add the cooled melted butter, and then very gently fold in the almond flour mixture, keeping as much air in the whisked egg whites as possible.
4. Carefully spoon the mixture onto the parchment in four bun-shaped circles, , sprinkle each one with the sesame and flax seeds, if using. Shredded parmesan cheese (for cheesy rolls), or chopped herbs also make for a nice garnish. You can also cook the mixture in an 8x8 inch square baking pan and cut into four pieces, or use a non stick metal tart pan (picture shown below), which works great for consistent shaped rolls.
5. Place the baking sheet into the oven on a middle shelf and bake the buns for approximately 10 to 15 minutes, until risen and golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before using.
For cheesy, herby rolls, add some freshly chopped herbs and three tablespoons of shredded parmesan cheese to the almond flour mixture in step 2.
Use a non-stick tart pan, like in the below picture to create rolls with a more consistent shape.