LOW-CARB CHOCOLATE BROWNIES WITH SALTED CARAMEL SAUCE
Moist chocolate-almond brownies topped with a salty-sweet, creamy caramel sauce; these are a real treat served warm with a scoop of ice cream.
makes: 20 SERVINGS
prep time: 15 MINUTES
cooking time: 25 TO 30 MINUTES
1.5 ounces (40 g) unsweetened chocolate
2 sticks (220 g) unsalted butter
2 cups (190 g) finely ground almond flour
½ cup (60 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
4 large, free-range eggs
1 ¼ cups (240 g) Sola sweetener
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup pecans or walnuts, broken into pieces
Sea salt crystals to garnish
1 recipe caramel sauce - Click here for recipe
1. Preheat the oven to 325F/170c.
2. Line a 10 x10 deep-sided cake pan with parchment paper.
3. Place the chocolate and butter in a large bowl, over a pan of simmering water for approximately 5 to 10 minutes, until melted.
4. Sift the almond flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder into a small bowl.
5. Beat the eggs, Sola sweetener, and vanilla extract in a stand mixer (or in a large bowl with an electric hand whisk), for approximately five minutes until light, fluffy, and very pale in color.
6. Remove the melted chocolate and butter mixture from the heat and stir it into the beaten egg mixture. Fold in the dry ingredients and nuts and stir well.
7. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan, place it in the oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the brownies have risen and an inserted skewer comes out clean.
8. Make the caramel sauce according to the recipe instructions, pour over the warm brownies and sprinkle a few sea salt crystals on top to garnish. Allow the brownies to cool in the pan for at least two hours before removing them and cutting into squares.