LIGHT AND FLUFFY KETO VANILLA SPONGE CAKE
This light and fluffy plain vanilla sponge cake is an absolute winning recipe, with low carb ingredients like almond and coconut flour cakes can often be dense and stodgy, however with this beauty, that isn't the case. I tried and tested low-carb sponge cake recipes for years and ended up perfecting one with a very simple ingredients, the key here is folding in whipped egg whites to help give the cake a light and fluffy texture. Use this recipe as a base and add your own flavors and fillings.
makes: 12 SERVINGS
prep time: 20 MINUTES
cooking time: 20 TO 25 MINUTES
3 large free-range eggs
½ cup (95g) Sola sweetener
3 tablespoons (25g) coconut flour
1 cup (120g) finely ground almond flour
1 stick unsalted butter (melted)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
7 large free-range egg whites
¼ cup (50g) Sola sweetener
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350F/180c.
2. Starting with the ingredients in stage one, whisk the eggs with the sola sweetener until very light and fluffy, this is best done with an electric whisk. Set to one side.
3. Sift the coconut flour, almond flour and baking powder into a separate bowl, set to one side. Melt the butter and set to one side.
4. With the ingredients from stage two, whisk the egg whites with just 1 teaspoon of the sola sweetener until you have stiff peaks, at this point gradually whisk in the remaining sola sweetener and continue to whisk until glossy.
5. Pour the dry ingredient mixture and melted butter into the beaten whole eggs and stir until well combined, then gently fold in the egg whites. Make sure you do this very gently because the small bubbles in the egg whites are what gives the cake its light, spongy texture.
6. Divide the mixture between two 9 inch round cake pans which have been lined with parchment paper, gently spread out.
7. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until risen and golden brown, the cakes are delicate, so cool them in the pans for 1 hour at room temperature, or in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before removing and using for your favorite recipes.