KETO CHOCOLATE ALMOND WAFFLES WITH CHOCOLATE SAUCE
Low carb chocolate almond waffles are perfect for celebrations, brunches and even dessert, really you don't need an excuse to whip up a batch of these delicious waffles!
makes: 6 SERVINGS
prep time: 10 MINUTES
cooking time: 15 MINUTES
For the waffle batter
1 ¼ cups (120 g) finely-ground almond flour
4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoons coconut flour
½ cup (95 g) Sola sweetener
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 pinch of salt
4 free-range eggs
4 ounces (110 g) full fat cream cheese (softened)
¼ stick (30 g) unsalted butter, melted
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup (60 ml) whole milk
For the Chocolate sauce
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder sifted
¾ cup (180 ml) heavy/double cream
¼ cup (50 g) Sola sweetener
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 pinch sea salt
For the Candied Bacon
10 slices bacon
2 tablespoons sola sweetener
Fresh raspberries and unsweetened whipped cream to garnish if desired.
Firstly, make the chocolate sauce
1. Place all ingredients into a saucepan and bring to a boil, whisking constantly.
2. Reduce the heat to a rolling simmer and continue to cook for 5 to 10 minutes until the sauce is smooth and glossy and has thickened up.
For the Candied Bacon
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350F/180c
2. Place the bacon slices onto a baking sheet lined with foil, and place into the oven cook for 15 minutes. Remove the bacon from the pan and pat dry with paper towels, replace the foil with fresh foil and place the bacon slices back onto the baking sheet.
3. sprinkle over the sola sweetener and place back into the oven to bake for a further 10 to 15 minutes until crispy and caramelized, remove from the pan and allow to cool before serving.
For the Waffles
1. Mix all the dry ingredients together thoroughly in a large mixing bowl.
2. Add the eggs, melted butter, softened cream cheese, vanilla extract, and milk. Mix well, preferably with an electric mixer, which will help incorporate more air bubbles. You should have a batter with quite a thick consistency (it will look and feel far thicker than a conventional pancake batter). Don’t be alarmed and don’t add any extra liquid!
3. Set your waffle machine on its lowest heat setting and brush liberally with melted butter.
4. Place a half a cup of the pancake batter for each waffle into the center of the waffle iron and close the lid, it will spread out as it cooks. Cook for about 2 minutes until golden brown and fully cooked through, carefully remove from the machine, these waffles are more delicate than typical flour-based waffles. Brush with extra melted butter and place onto a serving plate, spoon over the chocolate sauce and top with whipped cream and fresh raspberries.