White chocolate and cardamom cookies with pistachio
I love the combination of cardamom and white chocolate, the cardamom which is often used in curries has a very light fragrant and slightly spicy flavor, which pairs very well with white chocolate. The pistachios add a nice crunch and tie in with the Middle Eastern spice theme of these cookies. Alternatively just remove the cardamom and pistachios from this recipe and add chopped macadamias for equally delicious which chocolate macadamia cookies!
Yield (serves): 20
Prep time: 15minutes
Cooking time: 14 minutes
1 ¾ stick (200 g) unsalted butter , at room temperature
½ cup (85 g) light brown sugar
½ cup (85 g) golden caster sugar (evaporated cane sugar)
1 free range egg
2 ¼ cups (225 g) self-rising flour (or white flour with 1 teaspoon baking powder)
¾ cup (100 g) good quality white chocolate , roughly chopped
½ cup (85 g) Chopped pistachios (optional)
½ teaspoon ground cardamom
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/375F
2. Beat the butter, sugar and egg until smooth, then mix in the flour, white chocolate and pistachio nuts and ½ tsp salt.
3. Spoon the mixture onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper in large round blobs, you should get around 20 cookies from this mix. Make sure they are well spaced as the cookies will spread, you may have to cook the cookies in batches
4. Bake for 12-14 minutes until just golden, but still quite pale and soft in the middle.
5. Cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes, and then lift onto wire racks to cool.
Make these cookies with any flavours you want, try using candied cherries and white chocolate or milk chocolate with pecans