Amazing chorizo and pesto conchiglie pasta with fresh spinach
This is definitely one of my signature dishes; I’m always getting asked when I’m going to make it again. The dish is very easy to make and the flavours are simple, but they work really well together, I like to use conchiglie pasta “pasta shells” for this dish because the shape of the shell is great for catching the delicious sauce. You can however use any other type of pasta you like for this dish, penne and orecchiette work really well too.
Yield (serves): 4
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
4 cups (400 g) Large conchiglie pasta shells (or your preferred choice of pasta)
1 cup (200 g) Spanish chorizo sausage (diced)
2 cloves garlic (crushed)
1 white Onion (finely chopped)
One small jar readymade pesto
¾ cup (200 ml) Chicken stock
1 ¼ cups (300 ml) Double/heavy cream
6 cups (250 g) Fresh spinach
Fresh basil to garnish
Parmesan shavings to garnish
Seasoning to taste
1. Begin by putting the pasta on to cook in boiling salted water for approximately 10 minutes to al dente stage where it still has a little bite to it.
2. In a heavy bottomed pan gently fry the diced chorizo without oil until in becomes crispy, approximately 5 minutes. The chorizo will cook in its own fat.
3. Remove the chorizo from the pan with a slotted spoon and set to one side
4. Drain most of the fat from the pan, leaving a small amount, add the onions and garlic and cook for a few minutes until tender, add the whole jar of pesto, the diced chorizo, double cream and chicken stock and simmer until the sauce thickens.
5. Add the fresh spinach and cook through for a minute until the spinach wilts
6. Add the sauce to the drained pasta, season and stir well.
7. divide the pasta between four plates and garnish with freshly ground black pepper, fresh basil leaves and Parmesan shavings
This dish is also great served with ultimate tear and share bread (link to bread recipe)
For a vegetarian alternative replace the chorizo with sun dried tomatoes and use vegetable stock rather than chicken stock
Classic Wine: from Spain Tempranillo, Rioja joven, Toro DO.
New World: Red medium bodied, Zinfandel, Carmenere(Chile), Merlot.