Tomato & Mozzarella bruschetta with fresh basil
Tomato, mozzarella and basil bruschetta is about as classic as it gets, this a really simple recipe which showcases the tomato and mozzarella so make sure you buy the ripest most flavourful tomatoes you can and the creamiest freshest mozzarella
Yield (serves): 4
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
4 Ripe vine tomatoes
2 cloves garlic
1 Red onion
1 bunch fresh basil
Seasoning to taste
olive oil to cook
1 ball of fresh mozzarella
1. Take the baguette and cut it into 8, 3/4 inch (2 cm) thick slices. Place onto a baking sheet and drizzle generously with olive oil and sprinkle with freshly ground pepper and salt.
2. cook the croutons at 170°c/325 F for approximately 10 minutes until golden brown and crispy
3. cool on a wire rack
4. To make the bruschetta topping finely dice tomato, garlic and onion and mix together with a drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper and chopped basil.
5. To serve place a table spoon of the mixture onto the baguette crouton, then top with a slice of mozzarella and a basil leaf.
6. This dish is great served with a dressed rocket salad
Try using slices of Brie as an alternative to mozzarella
Try adding some diced crispy pancetta to the bruschetta mix for a tasty alternative
Old World: Pinot Grigio, (Italy) Pinot Gris (Alsace)
New World: Sauvignon Blanc Casablanca (Chile)