Ten minute creamy tomato and basil soup
This speedy soup is great for a delicious lunch or starter when you’re in a hurry. The fresh basil really blends well with the creamy tomato flavor, perfect served with warm crusty bread.
Yield (serves): 4
Prep time: 3 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
One can/tin chopped tomatoes (roughly 13 ounces/375 g)
1 white onion (chopped)
1 clove of garlic (chopped)
1 cup (240 ml) Vegetable stock
¾ cup (180 ml) Heavy/double cream
Half bunch fresh basil
Seasoning to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil
1. Finely chop the onion and garlic and cook with olive oil in a heavy bottomed pan for 2 minutes until soft.
2. Add the chopped tin tomatoes and hot vegetable stock, and bring to the boil
3. Add the chopped basil, retaining 4 small sprigs for garnishing
4. reduce the heat and continue to simmer for 5 minutes
5. Using a stick blender, whiz the soup until it’s smooth
6. Add the cream and seasoning and put back on the stove to heat through.
7. To serve, divide the soup between four serving bowls and add an extra swirl of cream and a sprig of basil to garnish, sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper and a little olive oil to finish.
For a healthier option use low fat crème fraiche instead of cream and only use ½ tsp of oil to cook the onions and garlic.
Old World wines: White Italian Wine made of Trebbiano, Malvasia, Verdicchio.
New World wines: White Sauvignon blanc from Casablanca Valley.