Spiced dried fruit compote served with Greek yogurt
This fruit compote is wonderfully sweet and spicy; it’s great served with creamy natural yogurt or as a topping for a warming bowl of oatmeal
Yield (makes): 5 portions
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes plus 12 hours chilling/soaking
¾ cup (100 g) each of the following dried fruits:
2 tablespoons honey
¾ cup (180 ml) water
¾ cup (180 ml) apple juice
1 cinnamon stick
1 star anise
1 tablespoon fresh ginger (peeled and minced)
2 ounces (50 ml) whiskey (optional)
1. Place the water, apple juice, honey and spices into a large pan and bring to the boil.
2. Reduce the liquid to a simmer and add the dried fruit
3. Cook on a low heat for 5 minutes to allow the flavors to infuse
4. Remove from the heat and stir in the whiskey (if using)
5. Place the mixture into large jars and allow to cool before sealing and placing in the fridge.
6. Allow to rest for one day before using.
7. To serve, place a large spoonful of the compote into a serving bowl and top with a generous serving of creamy Greek yogurt, sprinkle with rolled oats.
You can use any combination of mixed dried fruits you like and once made you can keep the compote for up to a week in the fridge.