Pea and mint soup with crispy pancetta
This is very nice light soup, which is a snap to make, quite often we’ve got frozen peas in the freezer, so next time you need to whip up an incredible gourmet soup with store cupboard (or freezer) ingredients then this is the soup for you. The fresh mint compliments the pea flavor very well and the sprinkle of crispy pancetta adds some richness to the soup
Yield (serves): 4
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
1 ½ cups (250 g) Good quality frozen peas
1 large Onion
Half a bunch of Celery
1 Clove of garlic
1 Small leek
3 Sprigs of mint (chopped)
2 ¼ cups (500 ml) Vegetable stock
½ stick (55 g) Unsalted butter
¼ cup (50 g) Crème fraiche plus extra for garnishing
8 slices Pancetta or smoked bacon
1. Finely dice the onion, leek, celery and garlic and place a large heavy bottomed pan along with the butter. Cook the vegetables without allowing them to colour for approximately 5 minutes
2. Add the frozen peas and continue to cook for another 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
3. Add the hot vegetable stock and mint and cook on a medium heat for approximately 10 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
4. Add the crème fraiche and liquidize the soup.
5. Pass through a strainer and adjust seasoning to taste
6. To serve grill or pan fry the pancetta strips until very crispy and roughly chop into thin strips. Sprinkle the crispy pancetta strips into the center of the soup then garnish with swirls of crème fraiche and finely shredded fresh mint.
For a healthy version of this soup leave out the pancetta and use ½ tsp of olive oil instead of butter to cook the vegetables. Use low fat crème fraiche to garnish the soup
For a vegetarian version simply leave out the pancetta for an equally delicious soup
Old World:Sancerre Loire, Poully fuisse, Sauvignon Blanc.
New World: Sauvignon Blanc Chile, Pinot Gris (Alsace)