Moist and tangy Lemon and almond cake
This is probably my all-time favorite cake recipe other than my chocolate brownie recipe, the cake is pretty much flourless minus one tablespoon of flour to help bind so great for gluten free, the bulk of the cake is made from grounds almonds which makes the cake incredibly moist and rich without tasting overly nutty. Once the cake is made a syrup is made with lemon juice and sugar and poured over the cake, this gives it a really tangy flavor to contrast the rich ground almonds.
Yield (serves): 8
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
1 ¾ sticks (200 g) unsalted butter
2 1/3 cups (200 g) ground almonds
1 tablespoon white flour (helps bind – use corn starch/flour for gluten free cake)
3 free range eggs
1 cup (200 g) white sugar
¼ teaspoon almond essence
Zest and juice of one lemon
1 teaspoon baking powder
For the syrup
Juice of one lemon
½ cup (100 g) white sugar
1. Pre heat the oven to 150°c/300F
2. Cream together the butter and sugar with an electric whisk until light and fluffy.
3. Beat in the eggs and mix well
4. Add the ground almonds, baking powder, flour, the zest and juice of one lemon and the almond essence and mix well.
5. Transfer to a loaf tin lined with baking parchment and butter
6. Place into the oven and bake for approximately 40 minutes until the cake is lightly golden and an inserted skewer comes out clean.
7. Once the cake is fully cooked remove from the oven and leave in the tin, using a skewer poke about 20 holes evenly through the cake to help the syrup soak in.
8. To make the syrup take the juice from one lemon and the sugar and heat on the stove until the mixture begins to bubble and the sugar has completely dissolved.
9. Pour the syrup over the cake while it is still hot.
10. Leave the cake to cool in the tin for 2 to 3 hours before removing and cutting into 8 slices.
Use the zest and juice of one orange instead of lemon for a delicious orange and almond cake