Mini croque monsuire with crispy smoked bacon
The delicious combination of warm cheese and crispy bacon make these canapés truly irresistible, think of them as mini open faced grilled cheese sandwiches!
Yield (makes): 24 servings
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
one thin baguette
¼ cup (50 g) unsalted butter
½ cup (50 g) plain flour
1 ¼ cups (300 ml) Whole Milk
Pinch cayenne pepper
3 slices Smoked bacon
1 ¼ cups (150 g) grated cheddar cheese
Seasoning to taste
olive oil to cook
1. Make sure that you have a thin baguette as the idea of a canapé is that you should be able to eat it in one bite, take the baguette and cut it into 24 x 1cm slices. Place onto a baking sheet and drizzle generously with olive oil and sprinkle with freshly ground pepper and salt.
2. cook the croutons at 170°c/325F for approximately 10 minutes until golden brown and crispy
3. cool on a wire rack
4. Finely chop the smoked bacon and gently fry in a little olive oil, when the bacon is fully cooked, Melt the butter into the same pan, then stir in the flour and cook for two minutes. Gradually stir in the milk to make a very thick, smooth sauce.
5. Add the grated mature Cheddar, stir until melted, and then season with cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper. Set to one side to cool
6. Take your bacon and cheese mix and spread generously onto each crouton.
7. Place in the oven at 170°c/325F for approximately 10 minutes until the tops of the toasts are golden and bubbling.
8. Serve immediately.
To save time make these in advance up to stage 6 and place into the fridge until you’re ready to cook them
To make a vegetarian version of these canapés simply leave out the bacon and add 1 teaspoon of whole grain mustard at stage 5
Old World: Sherry Palomino Fino(Spain). Muscadet de sevre-et Maine Sur lie(France)
New World: Chardonnay still Wine, Fruity and light Pinot Noir (N.Z)