Warm sesame crusted tuna nicoise salad
This is a really impressive salad which is a filling meal, perfect for lunch or a light dinner, it’s is really quick to put together
Yield (serves): 4
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Half pound (225 g) fine French beans
24 Cherry tomatoes halved
24 Whole black olives
Seasoning to taste
2 Baby gem Lettuces separated into leaves
4 x 4 oz Tuna steaks
4 free range eggs
1 teaspoon sesame oil
4 tablespoons sesame seeds
For the vinaigrette
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
6 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon wholegrain mustard
Juice and zest of ½ a Lemon
1. Blanch the green beans in salted boiling water for 2 minutes and plunge into ice water to stop the cooking process so they will retain their vibrant green color
2. Cook the eggs in boiling water for 7 minutes and then plunge into ice water to stop the cooking process
3. Arrange the lettuce, olives, tomatoes, peeled quartered eggs and green beans on serving plates.
4. Make the dressing by whisking all ingredients together
5. For the tuna spread the sesame seeds out on a large plate and roll each tuna steak in the seeds until fully coated, season well.
6. Fry the tuna steaks in sesame oil on a medium high heat for 1-2 minutes on each side, the tuna should still feel springy when you touch it and be slightly rare in the middle.
7. To serve, dress the salads with the vinaigrette and tear the tuna into generous sized chunks and mix with the salad. Serve immediately
Cook the eggs and green beans in advance to save yourself time when preparing the salad.
If you don’t have fresh tuna you can also used canned tuna
White Wine Chablis, Chardonnay without oak, Sancerre or Sauvignon Blanc.