Caramelized red onion fresh spinach and creamy goats cheese omelette
This is one of my favorite omelettes; the fresh vibrant spinach is balanced well with the richness of the caramelized onions and the creamy goats cheese
Yield (serves): 1
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
3 free-range eggs
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, diced
salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons olive oil
Large handful fresh spinach
1/3 cup (50 g) crumbled goats cheese
¼ red onion
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1. Pre-heat your grill/broiler on full power
2. Firstly prepare the filling, slice half a red onion and fry in olive oil on a medium heat for approximately 5 minutes until the onions begin to brown, add the balsamic vinegar and continue to cook for another 5 minutes until the onions become sticky, set to one side to cool.
3. Take your spinach, season well and sauté on a medium heat for approximately 1 minute until wilted, set to one side to cool.
4. Crack the eggs into a bowl and beat with a fork until smooth. Stir in the cold diced butter.
5. Season the eggs with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
6. Heat a heavy non-stick frying pan over a high heat and add the oil. When the oil is smoking-hot, pour the eggs quickly into the pan. Turn the heat down to medium.
7. Using a wooden fork or a spatula and working in a circular motion, move the eggs in the pan around, while at the same time moving the pan back and forth across the heat.
8. Once the eggs begin to set stop moving the pan and allow the eggs to form a light skin, and then remove the pan from the heat.
9. Add the onions and spinach and top with crumbled goats cheese and flash under the grill for one minute until the goats cheese has melted
10. Pick up the pan and tilt the handle upwards and away from you. At the same time, tap the handle of the pan so that the omelette moves towards the opposite end of the pan.
11. Using the side of a fork, fold the omelette in towards the middle on both sides to form a cigar shape.
12. Tip the omelette onto a plate. Serve immediately with a dressed rocket/arugula salad.
You can use any type of filling you want for this omelette recipe, try crispy bacon and cheddar cheese or pan fried portabello mushroom and Gorgonzola