Herby pesto garlic chicken with toasted pine nuts, arugula and parmesan shavings
A wonderfully easy and flavorful dish, this low carb chicken dish is quick to put together, perfect for summer evenings; the chicken also tastes great served cold and sliced up over a salad
Yield (serves) 4
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 6 - 8 minutes
2 large chicken breasts
Zest from 1 lemon
3 cloves of garlic (minced)
4 tablespoons prepared basil pesto
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Olive oil for cooking
1 teaspoon freshly chopped thyme
1 teaspoon freshly chopped oregano
¼ cup (30 g) toasted pine nuts
½ cup (50 g) Parmesan shavings
2 handfuls of arugula/rocket
2 tablespoons olive oil
1. Cut each chicken breast into two length ways as if you were going to butterfly the breast, you should end up with two thin slices of chicken breast equal in size
2. Place the chicken breasts between two sheets of plastic wrap and use a rolling pin to bash the chicken breasts out until they are 1/8 of an inch in thickness then use a fork to stab the chicken multiple times to tenderize the meat.
3. Sprinkle the meat with lemon zest, the minced garlic, the freshly chopped herbs, pesto and a good amount of seasoning and a drizzle of olive oil, use your hands to rub the seasoning into the chicken breasts
4. place a large frying pan onto the stove on a medium high heat and add a good amount of olive oil, wait for the oil to become hot and then add the chicken breasts, cook for about 3 to 4 minutes on each side, try not to move the chicken around too much when you are cooking as this will help the chicken to become nice and crispy and golden brown.
5. When the chicken is cooked, place onto 4 serving plates and top with the arugula which has been dressed with a little olive oil, then sprinkle over the pine nuts and Parmesan shavings and finish with some freshly ground black pepper.