Goats cheese and caramelized red onion tarte tatin
This is an impressive appetizer, the tangy sweetness of the caramelized balsamic onions pair really well with the creaminess of the goats cheese and buttery puff pastry
Yield (serves): 4
Prep time: 2 hours
Cooking time: 30 minutes
½ stick unsalted butter, softened
¼ cup (40 g) Soft brown sugar
2 large red onions
One pack ready-rolled puff pastry
¾ cup (150 ml) balsamic vinegar
8 slices French goats cheese (taken from large log)
4 cups (200 g) fresh rocket/arugula
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350 F
2. Peel the onions and slice into 2.5 cm (1 inch) slices. Gently fry in a little butter over a medium-to-high heat until the onions begin to color for approximately 3-5 minutes. Leave to cool.
3. Wipe the remaining butter around the base of a clean, small, ovenproof frying pan and sprinkle the sugar over the butter. Place the cold, cooked onions on top of the sugar and butter in the pan.
4. Cut a disc of puff pastry 2 cm (3/4 inch) larger in diameter than the pan containing the onions, butter and sugar.
5. Lay the pastry on top of the onions. The pastry should go up the side of the pan a little way, or over the edges to seal (this will depend on the height of your pan).
6. Transfer the pan to the fridge and chill for one hour.
7. Meanwhile, in a separate pan, reduce the balsamic vinegar over a medium heat to make a glaze.
8. Remove the tart from the fridge and cook in the oven for 10-15 minutes until the pastry is cooked and golden.
9. To turn out the tart, carefully place a plate over the pan and quickly turn the pan over. The tart should be onion-side up, so the pastry has become the base.
10. Place the slices of goats' cheese on top of the tart, and drizzle with the balsamic glaze.
11. Cut the tart into 4 quarters and serve with a handful of rocket/arugula dressed with a drizzle of olive oil and balsamic glaze.
Try using crumbled blue cheese and chopped walnuts as a great alternative topping for the tart
Old World: Champagne, Chablis( Chardonnay)fruity Roses.
New World: Chardonnay, Chenin Blanc, Semillon, viognier. Sparkling wines, rose syrah.