Garlic and sage dauphinoise potatoes
Dauphinoise potatoes are very thinly sliced potatoes which are layered in a gratin dish, a savory herb and garlic cream is then poured over the potatoes and they are then baked in the oven. The result is incredibly tender, creamy potatoes with a golden cheesy crust. Spoon straight out of the dish or chill the potatoes and cut into elegant squares before reheating on a baking tray in the oven.
Prep time: 45 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
1 ½ pounds (675 g) potatoes (russet or maris piper are preferred)
3 cloves garlic (crushed)
12 fresh sage leaves
1 bay leaf
1 ¾ cups (420 ml) heavy/double cream
1 cup (100 g) Parmesan cheese (grated)
½ stick (55 g) unsalted butter
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 160C/320F
2. Slice the potatoes into thin slices, about 1/8 inch (3 mm) thick, place the slices into a bowl of water as you cut them to stop them going brown.
3. Drain the potatoes and dry them thoroughly, place into an 8 inch square gratin dish in layers, seasoning each layer with salt and pepper and a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese (reserve some for the top), the potatoes should come to just below the top of the dish. Press the potatoes down with the back of a spoon or your hands so it forms a solid layer.
4. Place the cream, sage and garlic and one bay leaf into a pan and heat until almost boiling, remove from the heat and leave for 15 minutes to allow the herbs to steep
5. Pass the cream mixture through a fine sieve and then pour over the potatoes, the cream should come to just below the top layer of potato (top up with more cream if necessary).
6. Sprinkle the top of the potatoes with more Parmesan cheese and divide the cubed butter over the top of the dish, finish with a grind of black pepper
7. Place the potatoes in the oven and bake for 45-60 minutes until they are golden on top and the tender underneath. If necessary, give it another 15-20 minutes.
8. Sprinkle with freshly chopped parsley and place in the middle of the table as an attractive center piece
If you would like to serve the potatoes in elegant squares, let the potatoes cool completely and chill overnight. Remove from the pan the next day and cut into squares, when ready to serve, place onto a lined baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes at 350F/180c until golden brown