Five minute microwave Chocolate sponge pudding
This is a great dessert to whip up in a flash, using store cupboard ingredients, serve with some vanilla ice cream and some fresh berries to turn this quick dessert into something special, perhaps a last minute anniversary dinner that you forgot about?
Yield (serves): 5 – 6
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
1 cup (110 g) Self raising flour (or white flour with 1 teaspoon of baking powder)
½ cup (110 g) white sugar
¼ cup (60 ml) Vegetable oil
½ cup (60 g) Cocoa powder
1 free range egg (beaten)
2/3 cup (150 ml) whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
For the sauce
1 cup (200 g) Nutella chocolate spread
2 ounces (50 ml) Brandy (optional)
1. Sift the flour, salt, sugar and cocoa powder into a mixing bowl.
2. Add the vegetable oil, beaten egg, milk and vanilla essence and mix well for two minutes with an electric whisk.
3. Pour the cake batter into a greased 8 inch microwave proof pudding basin and cover with cling film/saran wrap.
4. Set the microwave to cook on full power for 5 to 6 minutes until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.
5. Remove from the microwave and carefully remove the cling film/saran wrap
6. Remove the pudding from the microwave dish and allow to cool slightly on a wire rack.
7. Meanwhile spoon the chocolate spread into a saucepan and warm through on a low heat.
8. To serve divide the sponge pudding between 5 bowls and sprinkle with a dash of brandy and pour over the warmed chocolate sauce, serve immediately with cream or ice cream.
If you don’t have Nutella chocolate spread, you can also use regular bottled chocolate sauce
For a chocolate and peanut butter sponge pudding, add 1 tablespoon of peanut butter to the cake mix and 1 teaspoon to the chocolate sauce