Double chocolate & peanut butter muffins
What’s more to say, its chocolate and peanut butter, together in a sweet and salty combination that will blow your mind! Try warming up and serve with some ice cream and caramel sauce for an intensely sweet indulgent treat.
Yield (makes): 12
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
2 ¾ sticks (280 g) Unsalted butter
2 ¼ cups (225 g) Self raising flour (or white flour plus 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder)
1 ½ cups white sugar (300 g) Caster/superfine sugar
¼ tsp salt
4 free range eggs
2 ounces (50 ml) whole milk
¾ cup (75 g) Cocoa powder
½ cup (100 g) semi sweet chocolate chips
for the topping
¾ cup (140 g) Smooth peanut butter
2 ¼ cups (280 g) icing/confectioners’ sugar
Chopped peanuts to garnish
Chocolate flakes to garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 160°c/310F
2. Using an electric mixer, cream the sugar and butter together until light and fluffy, beat in the eggs and continue to mix for a few minutes.
3. Sift in the flour, salt, cocoa powder and baking powder (if using) and gently combine all ingredients with a wooden spoon.
4. Add the milk and chocolate chips and gently mix until all ingredients are combined.
5. Divide the batter between 12 large muffin cases and transfer to the oven and bake for approximately 20 - 25 minutes.
6. To test the cakes insert a skewer and if it comes out clean, it’s done. If not give it another few minutes
7. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
8. To make the peanut butter frosting, mix all of the ingredients together with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
9. Once the muffins are fully cooled down use a piping bag with a star nozzle to pipe the frosting onto the muffins. Decorate the top of the muffins with chopped peanuts and chocolate flakes.
If you are making the muffins with kids it’s also fun to decorate them with Reese’s pieces or m&m’s
Try adding chopped nuts to the cake batter for an even more indulgent taste