Crispy mushroom arancini balls with garlic herb aioli
This is a particularly good recipe for leftover risotto from the day before, if you have leftover risotto simply skip steps one through five and go straight to breading and frying the arancini.
Yield (serves): 6 servings
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
2 tablespoons olive oil
¼ cup (50 g) onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 cup (175 g) Arborio risotto rice
1 ¾ pints (1 liter) chicken or vegetable stock
2 ½ cups (200 g) mixed mushrooms
½ cup (100 g) grated parmesan
1 teaspoon chopped fresh chervil
1 teaspoon chopped fresh chives
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 ½ cups (200 g) panko breadcrumbs
2 eggs (beaten)
1 cup (100 g) Plain flour
vegetable oil for deep frying
For the aioli
¾ cup (200 ml) Mayonnaise
2 cloves garlic
2 teaspoons chopped chives
Seasoning to taste
1. For the risotto, heat the olive oil in a pan. Place the onions, garlic and a pinch of salt into the pan and cook until the onions are soft and transparent.
2. When the onions are cooked, add the rice and stir until the rice is very hot and the grains are starting to turn translucent. Begin to add the water little by little, stirring continuously. Cook for 18-20 minutes then remove the pan from the heat and leave to stand.
3. To complete the risotto, heat a little olive oil in a frying pan. Add the mushrooms to the pan and fry for a few minutes.
4. When the mushrooms have softened, mix them through the risotto and cook the rice for a further few minutes. Once the rice is soft, stir in the Parmesan, chervil and chives. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
5. Spread the risotto out onto a tray to cool
6. Once the risotto has cooled divide the mixture into 18 and roll the risotto into balls.
7. Dip each risotto ball into the flour, then beaten egg and finally the breadcrumbs, repeat this process twice for each ball.
8. Deep fry the risotto balls in hot oil for approximately 5 minutes until they are crispy and golden brown.
9. Served with the aioli and a dressed side salad.
For the aioli
10. Finely chop the garlic and chives and add to the mayonnaise, season with salt and pepper.
Try adding different flavors to your aioli such as lemon and basil, cracked black pepper or fresh chilli
This recipe is great for using up any leftover risotto from the day before and works well with any flavor
Old World: Albarinho grape (Galicia) Still white wine. Rose Navarra Spain.
New World: White wine Torrontes (Argentina) Fruity young Merlot, Pinot Noir, Rose shiraz/C.S blend.