Creamy Cauliflower, bacon and chicken soup
This is a great soup for sharing with the family for lunch or a light meal, the chicken, bacon and blue cheese add some protein and substance to this creamy low carb soup making it more substantial and filling
Yield (serves) 8
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
½ white onion (chopped)
1 large or 2 small cauliflowers
½ stick (55 g) unsalted butter
½ cup (120 ml) heavy/double cream
6 slices smoked bacon
Half a cooked chicken (removed from the bones and shredded)
4 ¾ cups (1.1 liters) chicken stock
¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon freshly chopped thyme
6 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
1. Place the chopped onions and butter in a large heavy bottomed saucepan for a few minutes until softened but not colored.
2. Cut the cauliflower into florets and add to the pan and continue to cook for another 5 minutes which will help release the flavor of the vegetables.
3. At this point add the chicken stock, paprika, thyme and cream.
4. Reduce the heat to a light simmer and continue to cook for approximately 25 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
While the soup is cooking bake or grill the streaky bacon until crispy and set to one side to cool, once cool roughly chop the bacon.
5. Remove the soup from the heat and use a stick blender to purée the soup until smooth and creamy.
6. At this point check the soup for seasoning and add as much freshly ground black pepper and sea salt as the soup needs.
7. Stir in the chopped crispy bacon and shredded chicken and then return to the heat for another couple of minutes until the soup is piping hot, serve immediately!
8. Retain some bacon and chicken to garnish the top of the soup along with a sprinkle of blue cheese, cracked black pepper and a few thyme leaves for an extra special touch.