Cauliflower soup with crispy bacon and gorgonzola
A delicious rich creamy soup perfect for a cold winter’s day
Yield (serves): 8
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
One Large cauliflower with stalks trimmed off
1 Large potato , peeled and chopped into chunks
1 medium onion , chopped
2 tablespoons (25 g) unsalted butter
4 tablespoons olive oil
5 cups (1.2 Liters) chicken or vegetable stock
2 ½ cups (600 ml) Full-fat milk
½ cup (120 ml) Heavy/double cream
6 slices Smoked bacon
¼ cup (50 g) Gorgonzola cheese (crumbled)
Chopped parsley to garnish
1. Place the chopped onion, potato and cauliflower in a heavy bottomed pan and gently cook using the butter and oil
without coloring on a low heat for approximately 5 minutes.
2. Once the vegetables have started to soften add the vegetable or chicken stock and milk and bring to the boil.
3. Reduce the heat and simmer until the vegetables are tender, approximately 20 minutes.
4. Once the vegetables are cooked, remove from the heat and pour in the cream
5. Using a hand blender, whiz the soup until it’s smooth and creamy.
6. Place the soup back onto the stove and reheat until its piping hot and then season to taste.
7. To serve pan fry the chopped bacon on a medium heat until crispy and sprinkle over the soup, then sprinkle over a little crumbled Gorgonzola and garnish with some freshly chopped parsley.
Try using other types of blue cheese such as Stilton or Roquefort
For a vegetarian alternative to this dish, leave out the bacon and garnish with some chopped walnuts instead.
Old World:Grenache or Garnacha rose, red light body. South West France.
New World: Zinfandel rose style. (USA) Chardonnay Oaky from Australia.