Cappuccino cake with walnuts and mascarpone frosting
A delicious coffee and walnut flavored cake with a light and fluffy mascarpone frosting which gives this cake its cappuccino style topping!
Yield (serves): 10
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
2 ¼ cups (225 g) self-rising flour (or white flour with one teaspoon baking powder)
1 ¼ cups (225 g) white sugar
2 sticks (225 g) unsalted butter
1 ¼ cup (100 g) chopped walnuts
½ cup espresso or very strong coffee
4 free range eggs
For the frosting
1 ¼ sticks (125 g) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup (225 g) mascarpone cheese
3 ½ cups (450 g) icing sugar/confectioners sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Chocolate shavings and walnut halves to decorate
1. Brew the coffee and allow it to cool.
2. Heat the oven to 170°c/325F
3. Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy with an electric whisk.
4. Add the beaten eggs and continue to whisk for one minute
5. Add the walnuts and mix them in so that they are evenly distributed.
6. Pour in the coffee and stir it until it is thoroughly combined.
7. Pour the cake batter into 2 greased 8 inch round cake tins lined with parchment paper.
8. Bake for approximately 20 minutes until an inserted skewer comes out clean, if it doesn’t give the cakes another few minutes
9. Remove the cakes from the tins and allow to cool on a wire rack.
10. To make the frosting place all ingredients in a bowl and beat with an electric whisk until light and fluffy.
11. Spread half of the frosting between the two cakes and spread the rest on top of the cake, leaving a little of the mixture which can be piped around the top of the cake with a star nozzle.
12. Decorate the edge of the cake with walnut halves and sprinkle generously with chocolate shavings
This recipe would also work well with pecans instead of walnuts
For a grown up version of this cake drizzle the bottom cake with 3tbsp of brandy or Tia Maria before frosting