Baileys and white chocolate Crème brulee
Baileys and white chocolate add an incredible rich and luxurious flavor to this crème brulee; it tastes incredible when paired with freshly brewed coffee or espresso
Yield (makes): 6 servings
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 20 – 30 minutes
1 ¾ cups Heavy/Double cream
½ cup (100 g) white sugar (plus extra for the topping)
5 free range egg yolks
1/3 cup (75 ml) Baileys Irish liqueur
½ cup (100 g) Chopped white Chocolate
1. Preheat the oven to 150C/300F
2. Pour the cream and white chocolate into a saucepan.
3. Bring the cream to boiling point and then remove from the heat, stir until all of the white chocolate has melted into the cream and keep warm.
4. Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, beat the sugar and egg yolks together in a large heatproof bowl until pale and fluffy.
5. Pour the cream over the egg mixture, whisking continuously until thickened - this indicates that the eggs have begun to cook slightly.
6. Add the baileys liqueur at this stage and stir through
7. Strain the mixture through a fine sieve into a large jug, and then use this to fill six ramekins to about two-thirds full.
8. Place the ramekins into a large roasting tray and pour in enough hot water to come halfway up their outsides. (This is called a bain-marie.)
9. Place the tray onto the center shelf of the oven and bake for 20-30 minutes, or until the custards are just set but still a bit wobbly in the middle.
10. Remove the ramekins from the water and set aside to cool to room temperature. Chill until needed. Preferably overnight
11. When ready to serve, sprinkle one level teaspoon of sugar evenly over the surface of each crème brulee, then caramelize with a chefs' blow-torch.
If you don’t have a chef’s blow-torch, place 6 tablespoons of sugar in a pan and heat on a medium high heat until the sugar has caramelized, carefully pour the caramel over the tops of the 6 crème brulees and allow to set for a minute or two before serving.
Classic Wine: Vintage Port. Aged Tokaji 6 puttonios.
New World: VDN Vins Doux Naturels, Moscatel de Valencia.